Rob's 06 Sti

• Thread starter The Asian Persuasion
  • Start date

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i would also check compression....i had milkiness in my top mount, thought it might have been bad turbo seals. ended up being a ringland... wishing the best though!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
yup check for broken ringland first. when turbos blow the oil isn't all milky like that. that's excessive blow by from your now missing ringlands blowing oil vapors out of the crankcase into the pcv system and into the inlet of the turbo. if you have a catch can, it will be full of the same goop..

T

The Asian Persuasion

yup check for broken ringland first. when turbos blow the oil isn't all milky like that. that's excessive blow by from your now missing ringlands blowing oil vapors out of the crankcase into the pcv system and into the inlet of the turbo. if you have a catch can, it will be full of the same goop..
i dont have a catch can...i should prob get one?...would the compression test tell the broken ringland?...the car still hits boost even before i knew about the oil in the intercooler, not sure if the car would still hit target boost even with a broken ringland

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Even a slight ringland failure can cause the blow by. If the test fails I would say it's piston failure and not bad valves, only because of the milk in the intercooler

RBNasty

awesomeness
Milky white oil is caused by two things, moisture and coolant. If you are not using coolant then you can eliminate head gasket related issues. I would definitely agree with meyagi that you could certainly have a ringland failure. That's a considerable amount of fluid you poured out, so if it was coolant related I would imagine you'd be low by now. Yes you can still hit boost because oil acts as a sealant. When you do a compression test on an engine and you find low compression in a cylinder, one way to narrow down the cause is pour some oil in and recheck it. Generally if it's ring related the compression readings will go up because the oil creates a temporary seal. If compression remains the same chances are you have bigger issues. I'd definitely start by checking your coolant levels, dipstick for milky oil, then start with a compression test. Those are simple and non invasive places to start.

T

The Asian Persuasion

I do have to say that the milky oil was only on the right side of my intercooler pipes, the left side charge pipe had normal looking oil...that has me more puzzled

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Milky white oil is caused by two things, moisture and coolant. If you are not using coolant then you can eliminate head gasket related issues. I would definitely agree with meyagi that you could certainly have a ringland failure. That's a considerable amount of fluid you poured out, so if it was coolant related I would imagine you'd be low by now. Yes you can still hit boost because oil acts as a sealant. When you do a compression test on an engine and you find low compression in a cylinder, one way to narrow down the cause is pour some oil in and recheck it. Generally if it's ring related the compression readings will go up because the oil creates a temporary seal. If compression remains the same chances are you have bigger issues. I'd definitely start by checking your coolant levels, dipstick for milky oil, then start with a compression test. Those are simple and non invasive places to start.
subaru turbo motors do not have head gasket issues. even further, i have never seen a subaru mix oil/coolant when the headgaskets go bad. the car either overheats, or leaks oil/coolant externally.

a leakdown test will pinpoint the problem with no need to do a wet and dry test. every car ive seen with broken ringlands has had that milky goop through everything as a result of blowby. that car has been modified to run a larger volume of air and more boost on stock pistons. its kind of inevitable that the ringlands will eventually break.

Matt

Close enough. Silly turbo cars.
default_smile.png

RBNasty

awesomeness
subaru turbo motors do not have head gasket issues. even further, i have never seen a subaru mix oil/coolant when the headgaskets go bad. the car either overheats, or leaks oil/coolant externally.

a leakdown test will pinpoint the problem with no need to do a wet and dry test. every car ive seen with broken ringlands has had that milky goop through everything as a result of blowby. that car has been modified to run a larger volume of air and more boost on stock pistons. its kind of inevitable that the ringlands will eventually break.
Again, I was totally agreeing with you. Just explaining why you could still attain "target" boost, by comparing it to why a wet dry test can show very different results. And just because something is NOT common does not mean you should just negate it right off the bat. That's like saying " I checked the charging system and it isn't charging, so therefore it MUST be an alternator." Did you check the fuses? Did you check the wire to the alternator? Seems as though the poster wasn't quite familiar with engines in general. Wasn't trying to start a pissing contest. My bad.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
ive seen cars with no compression in one cylinder still make target boost, just take longer in the rpm range. usually when a ringland breaks it still has 30-60psi of compression so it runs on that cyl, its just not making much power. ive seen this problem numerous times and was just stating my opinion based on experience that is all.

RBNasty

awesomeness
Well when you make statements like "Subaru turbo motors do not have headset issues" it comes off as a know it all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back