Jesse's Bugeye

Visonik

Yeah, a roof vane is the same. I think I'll probably invest in one and install it when I remove my headliner for repair. Seems like the most logical time to do it.

Visonik

Is your 2.2 block just a stock ej22 or the mid 90s closed deck. I would like to learn more about the reason you used a 2.2
The reason, huh? Well, when the block I had turned into a giant's paperweight, I called Meyagi. Meyagi is a member on here who knows quite a lot, although he isn't active anymore. He has the same set up, wrx heads and bits with the 2.2 block at it's core. He has it in his Ken Block car and has beaten the snot out of it for three years, he told me. He said it's super reliable so long as you don't try to over do the power to it. He was using a used block, and I got mine brand new from the dealer.

The tuner at Kinetic Motorworks told me that my car is making about 50 more horsepower than a healthy wrx with a 2.0 and identical mods. So that's a plus. It's also much more unique than the 2.0 (obviously) so that had a bit of a draw for me too. That's why I went with a 1974 Chrysler color when I painted it. I like the idea of uniqueness, especially since cars now are built on an assembly line and they're all identical from the factory!

The block itself isn't really out of a specific car, since they're the same between the cars. Since we had to choose one to put it under for the dealer we chose a 1998 impreza. It's a phase two closed deck block.

Are you considering doing the same set up or just curious?

freelife04239

Well I have lots of parts in my garage. If you see my ride its a work in progress but this motor is an all stock shortblock and fresh heads.I have a 99 2.2 longblock,ej255longblock, and two compeat turbo motors that are dead.

Thinking of doing a build over the winter. I'm still new to turbo but I don't tiptoe I jump in full force and spend way to much. Spent like 18k in the past year on toys and parts.

Visonik

Well I have lots of parts in my garage. If you see my ride its a work in progress but this motor is an all stock shortblock and fresh heads.I have a 99 2.2 longblock,ej255longblock, and two compeat turbo motors that are dead.

Thinking of doing a build over the winter. I'm still new to turbo but I don't tiptoe I jump in full force and spend way to much. Spent like 18k in the past year on toys and parts.
If you have the know how and already have the parts, I'd recommend going for it. I don't have a single complaint so far and mine has about 12 k miles on it.

Keep in mind you will be needing a tune if you go for it. It'll run but not how it should. I drove mine around until it was broken in then I got the tune. Just avoid boost.

The tune was $350 on top of everything else I had done to get it going again. I used the wrx heads from a 2004 since mine weren't in very good shape, those had 130 k miles when they went in.

Let me know if you have any questions.

freelife04239

I ordered the newest access port 600+ 100 for a base tune. Then I get 100 off my 500.00 tune. Times Changing prices go up on everything

Visonik

I ordered the newest access port 600+ 100 for a base tune. Then I get 100 off my 500.00 tune. Times Changing prices go up on everything
That they do. Lucky for me I inherited my accessport with the car. Unlucky for me I also inherited the problems no one knew about haha. I ended up dishing out about 800 to Kinetic because they found a boost leak and I had a very wobbly wheel due to a bearing and some other things. They did good work its just expensive.

The hybrid motor is definitely way cool. If you can afford the tune and what not definitely go for it. I'll be excited to see someone else learning from my car.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Just fyi, the only 2.2 blocks that are closed deck are the early legacy turbo 2.2's. All the rest are open deck. But no doubt they can hold up well. The 2.5 blocks are open deck as well, even the turbo ones are only semi closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Visonik

Just fyi, the only 2.2 blocks that are closed deck are the early legacy turbo 2.2's. All the rest are open deck. But no doubt they can hold up well. The 2.5 blocks are open deck as well, even the turbo ones are only semi closed.
I knew I would get that backwards haha.

Visonik

Goody #1:

mwfbyo.jpg

Because hood props are soooo 2002.

Visonik

I need to to that some day.
I recommend them! They hold the hood up higher than the prop (not much more, but noticeably so) and the install wasn't too bad. Mine were a gift, but they were $70 on JNA. Shipping was outrageous I guess. $20 to ship them..

Visonik

Well one other goody is installed and working beautifully. But if I put a picture up it will reveal the others!

I got in some new led lights to replace the ones on the side markers and the little wedges in the headlights. Hopefully that'll be done in the morning.

Latest posts

Back