The life, death, and ressurection of a king.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Stayed up late last night and did some reading. Plus asked on my other forum.

•  
  • First thing. It's throwing a CEL because of the O2 sensor. The pins popped out of the plug, and I don't think I put them back in right. There's two white ones, a gray one, and a black one. No idea what the right order is. Going to have to play the guessing game...

• Second. When rolling clutch in, the cars electrical system seems to shut down. At stop signs it'll sometimes stall. No idea wtf that's about.

• Third. Whirring sound from the drivetrain. More notable on decel I can't figure out if something is off, or if it's a natural side effect from all the bushings and mounts I've thrown at the car. I tried listening for if it's front or back, but my hearing is ROYALLY messed up, so I can't really tell.

• Fourth, speedometer is off, I know it's because the car is re-geared from 4.11 to 4.44 with the new setup. Still looking into how to fix this exactly.
First. I found a wiring post on RS25 about the O2 sensor pins. Matt is also going to be awesome and check at work for me.

Second.

Sometimes when you have the battery disconnected for a while they tend to 'forget' what their idle is supposed to be at and stall when to clutch in and take all the load off the engine. Clean the throttlebody and idle speed controller and should sort itself out after a bit of driving.
Third.

Only real way to check that is to get the car on a lift/stands and have someone drive the car while listening with a stethoscope or screwdriver to the ear. If it's more noticeable on decel then it could possible be transfer bearings and gears in the back of the gearbox.
I hope this isn't the case, I'll have Evergreen give it a listen when I have my alignment done...

Fourth.

You may be able to use the speedo sensor out of the old box but I doubt it. More than likely the speedo drive gear would need to be changed which involves removing the gearbox and splitting the case to get to the tiny little plastic drive gear inside.If changing the sensor doesn't work their are electronic modules and kits out there to modulate the signal from the gearbox so you can get the right reading on the dash.

Matt

a6898dd6-8d5e-b86d.jpg
a6898dd6-8d83-cf59.jpg

I phone camera sucks balls. Hope you can read it.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Thanks Mr. Matt! Good news is, I fixed it. Bad news is, your diagram is different from my setup
default_frown.gif

Example of how mines set up.

dEMB5.jpg

Found this on RS25 late last night:

ZoFL6.jpg

It's of some guy swapping JDM crap into his car. Top left shows WWBG as the pinout. I tried it on the car and it solved it. No CEL, no more P0037 code.

So I repinned the O2 sensor. Cleared the CEL with my phone. Cleaned my battery terminals, connected them better, and cleaned EVERY ground wire I could find. Electrical issues gone, no CEL's. She's good to go.

Did a bit more seat time on my shakedown roads today. Car is noticeably firmer. Trailing arm bushings were the magic bullet to my forward/backward drivetrain slop. The car handles funny now though, needs an alignment, I need the camber set up correctly in the front. When I do struts and springs down the line, I plan to get an Anti-Lift Kit for extra front castor. Should help the nutty understeer the car has now. (I've been driving a jeep, I'm used to right foot oversteer, understeer is new again)

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So how does the tranny compare up to a stock NA box? For some reason, I'm really interested in that.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Thanks Mr. Matt! Good news is, I fixed it. Bad news is, your diagram is different from my setup
default_frown.gif

Example of how mines set up.

dEMB5.jpg

Found this on RS25 late last night:

ZoFL6.jpg
Trailing arm bushings were the magic bullet to my forward/backward drivetrain slop. The car handles funny now though, needs an alignment, I need the camber set up correctly in the front. When I do struts and springs down the line, I plan to get an Anti-Lift Kit for extra front castor. Should help the nutty understeer the car has now. (I've been driving a jeep, I'm used to right foot oversteer, understeer is new again)
so...is the black wire on the 02 semsor the signal output? good to know cuz I'm roastin my front sensor asap to test its function and I need to test on 'signal output wire."

also, to cure nutty understeer, you do need to start with proper alignment, esp considering how much you've torn the RS to pieces lately. Also ya need to turn in quicker, and learn to turn car with the brakes more than steering

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
So how does the tranny compare up to a stock NA box? For some reason, I'm really interested in that.
Gee I wonder why...
default_biggrin.png

It's different. You can tell it's geared lower, but it's not as mind blowing as I expected. First and second have a lot more grunt. 3rd through 5th don't feel as obvious. That grunt is definitely appreciated on the dirt though. I still don't have a lot of seat time, and my butt dyno calibration is way off from the jeep.

My town is RETARDED, so they put a ton of dirt down on the roads in the winter so all the rich cry babies will shut the front door!. This makes it so every intersection has a nice coating of dirt. Wheel spin is a lot more present.

Once the loose dirt is cleaned up off the pavement, and I get a new set of stickies for the 6 spokes, the car should be like a rocket ship. And since I can do a clutch job in 3 hours... I wont have to worry about beating on that.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
From putting the gear ratios into a calculator online, and comparing that vs a NA box, 4th and 5th are pretty close. But you're used to a RS box, and I'm used to a Legacy box. Which are pretty different anyway. The Leggy box is a lot longer than the RS box from the start.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
You can tell it's geared lower, but it's not as mind blowing as I expected. First and second have a lot more grunt. 3rd through 5th don't feel as obvious. That grunt is definitely appreciated on the dirt though. I still don't have a lot of seat time, and my butt dyno calibration is way off from the jeep.
after we dropped a 4.44 box into the LDR RS racecar, the difference in 3rd gear on dirt/snow was transformative. ooh yeah baby, gas it and GO!

our box had extra short 4th and 5th ratios as well, I think top speed was maybe 105 or so, but yeesh it got there purty quick.

with your foz XT box the slightly higher 4th and 5th ratios will be nice for street drivin....and don't worry, you'll get going fast enough on dirt in 3rd to be VERY entertained.
default_cool.png

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
so...is the black wire on the 02 semsor the signal output? good to know cuz I'm roastin my front sensor asap to test its function and I need to test on 'signal output wire."

also, to cure nutty understeer, you do need to start with proper alignment, esp considering how much you've torn the RS to pieces lately. Also ya need to turn in quicker, and learn to turn car with the brakes more than steering
I have no idea what wire does what on the O2 sensor. I just plug the wires in and hope they work. The O2 talk and pictures were for my rear O2.

The alignment is way off, I know this. I had every suspension piece unbolted so she's way out of wack. Didn't mark anything either since I knew it would be effed regardless.

The understeering was on pavement. Didn't put the boots to her on dirt yet, just played on the straights to make sure it'd stay together. Need to get an alignment before I play in the turns again. Gotta keep outta them ditches.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
You guys are posting faster than I am. I spend too long reading and rereading my posts.

Yeah, 1,2,3 seem shorter. 4 and 5 seem similar to the RS box. Doing my dirt dragstrip thing, I definitely noticed it. The speedo is off and I haven't hit the highway, but it wont be as buzzy as I expected according to my phone GPS speedo. Without having the speedo reading right, I have a hard time gauging the differences.

I'll probably be getting a converter box to fix the speedo and hopefully I can find one that will account for different tire sizes too! Wanna be super accurate for dem TEE ESS DEEZZZZ

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Yea, a converter box will fix it. Too bad they're effing expensive
default_frown.gif
Sorry I missed ya in the chat room.

Yeah, I haven't looked at converter boxes yet. Just some quick googling.

http://www.google.com/search?q=speedometer+calibration+box&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=t7O&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=XqqTTanYO8q-0QGCiKXNBw&ved=0CG8QrQQ&biw=1448&bih=914

I want to find one that will work for my 4.11 to 4.44 swap, AND will allow for me to run truck or rally tires and still be dead nuts on.

Matt

Well that sucks. Guess alldata has let me down again!!! I tried. Glad you got it fixed though.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Dan quit angsting about the little stuff like inaccurate speedo or odo.

you are about ready to get a Terratrip in that car already, which can be set exactly to diameter of whatever wheels you are using, whatever gears, yadda yadda. Got a super accurate speed readout too, hint hint.

Latest posts

Back