The life, death, and ressurection of a king.

GClark

It's worse then that
default_frown.gif

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Welp.

Car whines on decel. Did it ever since I rolled it out of the garage with the new setup.

Evergreen had it on the lift monday and said it was the rear diff. I need to get it in the air and look for myself though...

I have lots of stiff mounts and bushings, which may be transferring more NVH. Or it could be a real problem.

Reading online seems to point to a few different things.

The rear subframes are different.

FXT

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s11/type_5/train/differential_mounting/

RS

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_1/train/differential_mounting/illustration_2/

The FXT diff came with bolts for the back. Those wouldn't fit in my rear subframe, so I took my NA diff bolts and threw them in.

Bratman clued me in on it when we were talking on facebook this morning. Saying my rear could be fine and it might be odd driveline stuff.

I read through the first thirty pages of the subaruforester.org driveline section, and did a diff whine search on nasioc. I also read the 12 pages of the forester guys talking about STi swaps and how all that shit was different. I'd still be reading, but my eyes hurt so I'm done for the night.

It could be something stupid I can shim out and call it a day. It could be the rear diff is junk, which really wouldn't make sense. Chris has an open 4.44 diff I could try. Hell it could be my driveshaft or the driveshaft carrier. The fozzy to sti guys sometimes have to shim down the carrier. I plan to poke around underneath the thing at some point. Or push it down the gully behind my house. That might work too.

I need to figure out a checklist and order of things to try.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Don't give up on it yet, and might as well start small before you assume the worst. Good luck!!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
welcome to the fascinating world of Suby swap R & D.

and I don't mean "Ripoff & Duplicate." You can't give up now (much as it'd be satisfying to ditch car out back), heh you're just getting started.

NVH due to add'l bushing work is a pretty likely culprit. in my experince, bad diff whines at a certain resonant speed. when stock LSD pooched in my RS, it howled at ~65 mph. when diff went in my 05 WRX wag, it went whumpa wumpa wumpa speed-related like bad rear wheel bearing.

are you sure noise is coming from the rear?

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
umm, you DID check diff fluid level?
default_tongue.png

don't laugh, I finished installing new trans diff and axle setup on my rally car, was so excited to do road test we took car off lift and headed down the road...horrid whining noises from new drivetrain. got back to shop, back up on lift, DOH! no trans oil.

after that, the car had a decal on driver's window....GOT OIL?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Hopefully it works! Then you can drive sideways into parking lots with a lot of tire squealing too!

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Car is done. Running 100%. Registration and legal driving tomorrow.

Details and pictures coming with writeup will be done tomorrow.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Got a free moment at a friends computer.

I take it the noise is now gone with the new diff???
Spent the only two hours I had free yesterday on a diff swap. It's only 10 bolts and some cursing and a crushed hand.

Homeboy Chris hooked me up with a 4.44 open diff out of a 1999 auto outback he had. Seriously, he saved my DONKEY.

It was rusty as fuck. Rolled around his trunk after doing some cookies. Rolled/hopped/flew around the jeep after taking the dirt test track home from Bath.

"Old" and busted (04FXT):

2011-04-09%2013.29.09.jpg

"New" and hotness (99 outback open):

2011-04-09%2013.29.00.jpg

It was RUSTY as all hell. Sprayed some engine degreaser on it, then took the power wire wheel to it. Cleans up nice. Case numbers are the same. My center diff didn't explode, so we're good to go.

Latest posts

Back