MS February 2010 Group Meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
i had a tripod with me... I was playing with the settings... it was my first time with the camera. I actually was getting better shots off the tripod for some reason. The shutter wont stay open as long as I want it to... it has iso100-3200 but I think the lens (kit lens) doesn't have the right apature for night shots. I need something with a 1.8 or lower.
Make sure you're not shooting on auto, and exposure settings is what your looking for to adjust the aperture. By having the shutter stay open longer it lets more light in over time thus brightening the picture, but at the same time making it nearly impossible to capture motion. A tripod wont help unless you know how to set your camera up properly.

Here's a nice read on exposure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_%28photography%29

If you'd like PM me and I can hook you up with some photography books.

patsti

NitrousFed
Make sure you're not shooting on auto, and exposure settings is what your looking for to adjust the aperture. By having the shutter stay open longer it lets more light in over time thus brightening the picture, but at the same time making it nearly impossible to capture motion. A tripod wont help unless you know how to set your camera up properly.
Here's a nice read on exposure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_%28photography%29

If you'd like PM me and I can hook you up with some photography books.

I was a Photography/bus major in college...

I am new to dslrs. I was shooting in manual using iso from 800-1600-3200... The problem I was having was that even in 3200 pics kept coming out black with no flash. Then i would get blurs if I set the flash to auto in lower iso's... so I set the flash to come on sooner and got a lot of iso noise... I need to play with it for a few days.

Again I am using a kit lens for now that's not very good... 18-55mm f3.4-5.6 SAM, the strange thing is the camera is always saying f5.6 and not changing no matter what I do, so I am going to look over the user manual and see why.

.... Just figured it out... Noise reduction has to be turned off (couldn't find this option last night) to keep the shutter open longer... and I just found the dial for the fstop... gonna try some tonight! I had been playing around with a d50 before and the sony is not the same at all... Its a lower end model so it is set up to be more user friendly and kinda hides the manual stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I was a Photography/bus major in college...
I am new to dslrs. I was shooting in manual using iso from 800-1600-3200... The problem I was having was that even in 3200 pics kept coming out black with no flash. Then i would get blurs if I set the flash to auto in lower iso's... so I set the flash to come on sooner and got a lot of iso noise... I need to play with it for a few days.

Again I am using a kit lens for now that's not very good... 18-55mm f3.4-5.6 SAM, the strange thing is the camera is always saying f5.6 and not changing no matter what I do, so I am going to look over the user manual and see why.
Fair enough. Sorry I sounded condescending, over time I've come to assume anyone having issues with a DSLR is just leaving it on auto and not caring how cameras work, because 9 times out of 10 that's the case. Seeing people at NEFR this summer with expensive DSLR's and thousand dollar lenses shooting in full auto is the most depressing thing ever. You'll pick it up with an afternoon of dinking around with the settings, that's how I learned on my sisters DSLR. I still use RAW + lightroom as a crutch though.

patsti

NitrousFed
Yeah camera has two wheels to change exp and ap... you have to hold down the +/- button to swtich the shutter speed... didnt know that last night and I thought maybe the camera didnt have a shutter speed option which ment it was going back to the store... Also to change the ap you have to do something strange with the lens...Got it worked out just played with it for a few mins and now I can get way better shots... Guess this time I did have to read the manual (lol).

I wish I had known that so I could have got some good shots... next time I will be ready to go...

I was turning the view finder angle wheel instead... fail! I am way too used to my 1970's minolta

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiththers

It was great to meet atleast some of you guys lastnight! i see my car made it into a pic or two along with myself. I will second the tripod idea, with that you can keep ISO really low, fstop as low as it gets, and let the timer and shutter speed work its magic for you :)

4WRXter

Skier!
OT here, but I've got to say, the new gen Impreza is growing on me and My wife and I both commented to each other how good Smiththers silver OBS looks.

Iboc_C64

Sorry I missed this meet guys. I meant to be there but I ended up being sick that entire day out of work and everything else too. I couldn't get online until now. Maybe I can make the next one.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Guess who is a total loser and realized he missed this the day after....

ReZPunK

recent trend of "southern" events....any chance of having an Augusta meet in the near future?

i know its WAAAAAY up here in the great white north and people might have to travel more than a half an hour to come.

red robins is a great place with the big long banquet style table... and plenty of parking.

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
I haven't made one of the monthly meets yet and another one in Augusta would be cool.....Texas Road House FTW

Mark

we're hoping for an augusta meet very soon. currently we're figuring out march (southern meet in portand area) and also how to manage our 2 year anniversary meet in april. logically augusta should get some love in may. I hate to make it that far away but in the same sense we can't skip the southern meet and not have one in the portland area for a 4 month stretch

Mark

obviously Rez if you guys wanna have your own augusta meet we will support that like always.

Nate

Founding Father
We will actually be doing the April meet up that way... with a 2nd anniversary at the end of April.

GClark

You should do the 2nd Anniversary meeting after the 21st, so I can come! My school gets out way early, then I get to drive 3,000 miles back to Maine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back